Over the past couple of weeks, Altran, the global leader in engineering and R&D services now part of Capgemini, has resolutely joined the global fight against COVID-19 and has repositioned a number of its engineers, scientists and designers to lead or partner with other institutions on initiatives addressing five of the key challenges posed by this pandemic.
- Addressing the global shortage of ventilators – Altran is leveraging its knowledge in manufacturing operations, product design and medical certification management to support manufacture ramp up and engineer safe and easy to produce new ventilators. As an example, Cambridge Consultants, part of the Altran Group, and a select group of our peers have been asked by the UK Government to develop and help manufacture highly capable ventilators, that meet stringent medical safety standards, at massive speed with parts that must be fully available on UK ground to avoid supply chain disruption.
- Helping repurpose drugs – As part of the partnership Altran has built with Sanofi over several years, Altran Life Sciences teams are currently involved in four COVID-19 clinical studies launched and led by Sanofi in Europe and the U.S. on promising molecules.
- Enabling sufficient sourcing and production of personal protective equipment– More than 300 Altran engineers in Spain have participated voluntarily in the manufacture of medical material using 3D printing.
- Enabling the testing of patients at scale – frog, another Altran company, has worked with a major Chinese conglomerate to design and roll out a digital platform which tracks users’ biometrics and can help detect early symptoms of COVID-19 complications when used with a medical test kit.
- Providing digital and social assistance – Europe-based experts from frog have developed the 'Telehealth Toolbox' website. This pro bono initiative aims to help doctors accelerate the transition to telemedicine during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Dominique Cerutti, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Altran, commented, “The situation the world is facing is unprecedented. Altran’s duty, first and foremost, is to ensure its teams and its clients’ teams are safe. Early on, it became clear that as a global leader, Altran had to take part in the fight against COVID-19. Producing simplified ventilators with production time reduced from weeks to only days, helping longstanding life sciences and healthcare partners in their efforts to repurpose drugs and developing new patient tests are some of the projects our teams are proud to be involved in, and we hope to contribute in a decisive way to the global fight against this pandemic.”
Altran is also contributing to IBM’s 2020 Call for Code Global Challenge that now is focused on COVID-19. Altran will help by creating innovative mobile and desktop solutions for the Challenge based on the new COVID-19 developer starter kits. The kits include a description of the starter solution, an architectural diagram, and a tutorial with starter code and reference materials.
Design experts at frog have joined France’s “Coalition Innovation Santé – Crise Sanitaire” (“Health Innovation Coalition – Health Crisis”) alongside major Life Sciences companies and associations to help relieve congestion that the healthcare system is facing and ensure continuity of care for patients with chronic diseases who are particularly at risk during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Altran is the undisputed world leader in engineering and R&D services. Altran offers its clients a unique value proposition to meet their transformation and innovation challenges. Altran supports its clients, from concept to industrialization, to develop the products and services of tomorrow and has been working for more than 35 years with major players in many sectors: Automotive, Aeronautics, Space, Defence & Naval, Rail, Infrastructure & Transport, Industry & Consumer Products, Life Sciences, Communications, Semiconductor & Electronics, Software & Internet, Finance & Public Sector. Today, Altran counts more than 50,000 employees and operates in over 30 countries.
Altran is an integral part of Capgemini, a global leader in consulting, digital transformation, technology, and engineering services. The Group is at the forefront of innovation to address the entire breadth of clients’ opportunities in the evolving world of cloud, digital, and platforms. Building on its strong 50-year + heritage and deep industry-specific expertise, Capgemini enables organizations to realize their business ambitions through an array of services from strategy to operations. Capgemini is driven by the conviction that the business value of technology comes from and through people. Today, it is a multicultural company of 270,000 team members in almost 50 countries. With Altran, the Group reported 2019 combined revenues of €17billion. People matter, results count.
Visit us at altran.com
Group Senior Vice-President Communications & Investor Relations
Tel.: + 33 (0)1 46 41 72 01