Bringing Analytics and Connectivity to Consumer Electronics
Transforming Product Innovation for Consumer Electronics
Today’s consumer products suppliers aim to capture a larger portion of the customer experience by providing them with engaging, digitally integrated products. This ambition is driving increased complexity of consumer products and their ecosystems with the addition and expansion of connectivity and adaptive analytics. Altran IPD offers Consulting and Product Development services to effectively design and develop these complex systems and ensure that the broader scope of functionality expands the customer experience without compromising product quality.
“We struggled for some time with an effort to add connectivity to one of our signature products. Altran IPD helped us by redefining our core architecture and implementing a high quality solution.”
Analytics and Machine Learning
Altran IPD has extensive experience in developing end-to-end consumer electronic analytics solutions, from the embedded device controller to the enterprise level customer engagement platform. Our solutions, combined with Altran’s team of more than 400 data scientists, trained to address complex analytics and machine learning needs, help clients build customer-engaging solutions that improve the bottom line.
Consumer Device Connectivity
Adding connectivity to a consumer product to improve the customer experience can be particularly challenging given constraints driven by security, usability, functionality and cost. Altran IPD has worked with numerous consumer and industrial clients to provide connectivity for their devices using a robust development approach to achieve state-of-the-art solutions for their products.
Your Consumer Electronics Innovation Partner
- Global network of highly-skilled engineers across North America, Europe, and Asia, with expertise in regulated medical products across all sites
- 30+ years of engineering expertise in systems, software, connectivity, security, safety, and data analytics
- Experience in mobile devices, enterprise, and cloud-based systems
- Extensive 510(k) and PMA experience
- Interoperability and IEC standards know-how – HL7, DICOM, IHE, 62304, 60601
Consumer Case Studies:
Consumer Electronics Image Recognition Solution
Achieved 100% accuracy for required verification image sets.
A consumer electronic company was facing intense pressure to accelerate time-to-market and release their next generation product. The company required support with the integration of a vision system to recognize and authenticate reusable components to ensure the highest customer satisfaction.
- Capture accurate images in high motion environment using low cost camera
- Implement a image processing solution on a highly constrained hardware platform not well suited for image processing
- Algorithm needs to perform both recognition and authentication, which requires very different image analysis steps
- Recognition must be completed quickly
- Developed discrete camera HW integration
- Developed a highly optimized algorithm pipeline to perform using combination of open source tool blocks and customized code
- Optimized algorithm for maximum performance on limited hardware platform
- Developed verification strategy to confirm recognition performance
- Achieved imaged capture with camera in motion
- Achieved 100% accuracy for required verification image sets
- Met time-to-market goals to support release of a next generation product
- Design provided new market opportunities and competitive advantage supporting client’s revenue growth plans
Consumer Device Internet of Things (IoT) Platform
Identified the most compelling IoT cases.
Manufacturer of hot beverage brewing systems was facing intense pressure to add features and functionality that leverage the IoT. They need help identifying the most compelling features and functionality to appeal to new and existing customers.
- Identifying multiple connectivity, user interfaces, data transfer, capabilities, and scenarios to add to their product
- Determining the most beneficial IoT capabilities to build into the product
- Testing a wide variety of customer use cases
- Designed and built a new test platform in 4 months
- System included multiple connectivity options, user interface methods, and data storage options
- Customized various use cases to set up specific trials for consumer testing
- Able to identify the most compelling IoT use cases with new test platform
- Expanded use cases to gain detailed insights for specific product features
- Gained an understanding of how to productize IoT features
Multi Location Data Collection
Advanced navigation software to avoid obstacles and adapt its path.
A leading global consumer robot company with a mission of designing and building robots to use inside the home faced challenges with developing technologies in the areas of physical interactions, mapping and navigation. The company was looking for assistance in observing and documenting detailed usage information from the robot at a number of geographic locations, home styles, and settings across the US.
- Existing system reported errors when robot was stuck over an edge, on a threshold, or on a dark surface
- One or both of the side wheels could not turn, got stuck on obstacles, and uneven surfaces
- Robot would fail to return to docking station when run was completed or needed charge
- Engineering team looking for substantial amounts of unique and unsystematic data to address customer complaints
- Tested if robot camera could spot obstacles and features of households by completing numerous runs in different lighting configurations (on, off, dimmed, natural lighting, etc.)
- Mapping system was challenged by rearranging furniture and docking station between runs
- Geographic locations and a variety of home styles were specifically chosen to expose robot to unfamiliar floor plans
- Provided extensive data for approximately sixty (60) different homes from twelve (12) different geographic locations
- Assisted in advancing navigation software to move effortlessly around obstacles under furniture and adapt its path
- Helped improved communication between robot and docking station
- Research supported the continue development of robots within a household